Throughout this course my eyes have been opened to the endless possibilities of connecting to the world. I had this boxed in mentality that the effort I was doing in my classroom was only for my students and colleagues. NOW…we can connect and share globally!!!
Who is this Vision for?
My vision for this project is to develop a Learning Commons website for my school, but as I continue to build the site, I want to have limitless connection to the world. I need to get this website up and running so that students, teachers, parents and staff can navigate around and find information they need regarding books, research, activities, collaboration and technology. I want to have the ability to post pictures and ideas of what is happening in the LC Makerspace and display what students are creating on our 3-D printer. My school community would be my first target audience.
What is my rationale?? The website rationale is that it is a source of information to my school community; this would include students, parents, teachers and staff. I want the website to be an accurate and complete picture of what the Learning Commons can offer. When people connect to my website I want the home page to be vibrant and exciting! Other pages need to be informative and fill the needs of the school community. To support this rational I have set up a few goals for the Learning Commons website because it is important to meet the NEEDS our school community.
Some goals are:
- Provide support and enhance student learning, reading, writing and use of technology.
- To foster and encourage a love of books and reading.
- The website should be a site where teachers and teacher-librarians can collaborate with each other for inquiry projects, Web 2.0 tools and a resource in developing and assessing new learning tools, strategies and pedagogical approaches.
- I want the website to serve as a resource that students and teachers use as a tool for learning!!!
- My end goal is to build a LC virtual website that is a communication and information link to anyone at anytime. I want to be able to collaborate and connect 24/7!
I have a clear idea and good direction of what I want to do but I am still working out the final details of the website. I have some great ideas for pages but I have been slow at building it…picking a theme can be overwhelming alone!! This link shows that the title and site https://pacerlibrary.wordpress.com and that’s my beginning! There is a vision in my head and some thoughts down on paper but still have tons of creative work to do.
Baker University Library. (July 29, 2013). Virtual Library Tour. (Video File). Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEXYkdkWbqM
Ed Galaxy (2014). 5 Things Every School Website Should Have. Retrieved from http://www.edgalaxy.com/journal/2011/8/5/5-things-every-school-website-should-have.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Edgalaxy+%28Edgalaxy+-+Where+Education+and+Technology+Meet%29
Walbert, David. (2014). Best Practices in School Library Website Design. Retrieved fromhttp://www.learnnc.org/lp/pages/969